Jon Stewart’s latest film, a political comedy called “Irresistible,” will skip theaters and make its premiere online for on demand digital rental on June 26.
The film from Focus Features stars Steve Carell and Rose Byrne and was meant to open in theaters on May 29.
“Irresistible” will be available for a 48-hour rental period for $19.99 beginning on June 26 on nearly all on-demand platforms including – Amazon, Apple, Comcast, DirecTV, Fandango, Google/YouTube, Charter/Spectrum, Verizon, Microsoft, Dish, Sony, Cox, Altice, Vudu, Frontier, and Row8.
It’s worth noting that Focus Features is the “indie” brand of Universal Pictures, so, technically, this continues the trend.
And now the running list is:
- Early releases of The Invisible Man, The Hunt and Emma. as premium VOD rentals
- Trolls World Tour skipping theaters and going straight to VOD (which has caused a frenzy within the industry)
- Scoob! also forgoing theaters and hitting VOD this past weekend
- The future release of the comedy The Lovebirds being sold by Paramount directly to Netflix, hitting this week
- MGM selling the Jackass-esq Bad Trip to Netflix
- Judd Apatow’s The King of Staten Island, starring Pete Davidson, going straight to VOD.
- The future streaming only release of American Pickle, starring Seth Rogen, going from a Sony Pictures theatrical film to an HBO Max-exclusive
- Jon Stewart directed, Steve Carrell starring Irresistable moving from theaters to VOD.
For a reminder about Irresistable and what it was about, here’s the trailer.
Irresistable hits VOD on June 26, 2020.