Happy August everyone!
Yes, I realize this means that Summer is starting to wind down, but at least we have one of the coolest movies of the year to see today, right? I mean – seriously, you’re all going to see Guardians of the Galaxy, right? Because WE loved it.
Anyway! In today’s week ending Daily Blast, we’ve got shark donuts, movie trailers, Garfunkel and Oates, and…somehow, a movie sequel I didn’t even realize was happening. How rare is THAT? Read on, gentle soul.
At the top of the post: Getting right ahead of the Guardians hype, Jurassic World director Colin Trevorrow has tweeted a new image of Chris Pratt, who is also the lead in next summer’s Jurassic World.
– Did you know they were doing a Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel? I sure didn’t – but it’s going to star Harry Shum Jr. (Glee).
– On one hand, the designs for the CGI work in The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water are very nice. On the other, they’re freaky as hell in use. We’ll see if it’s a nightmare when it hits theaters in 2015.
– Well, I’ve found the thing that would make me love Guardians of the Galaxy more. If it were all in LEGO.
– The new International trailer for Birdman underlines how much of a must-see it is this Fall. Goddamn it’s nice to see Michael Keaton acting more regularly again.
– Amazingly, the teaser for this Christmas’ Into the Woods film adaptation manages to show absolutely zero singing. In it for Kendrick.
– Jon Stewart’s directorial debut Rosewater is getting a late-Fall prestige release. The film, based on the true life story of journalist Maziar Bahari, who was tortured and interrogated over 118 days in Iran is due out on November 7.
– Pierce Brosnan’s latest actioner, The November Man, looks like a fun – but mindless – romp.
– Comedy music duo Garfunkel and Oates are getting their own show on IFC starting on August 7th, and the network has uploaded an episode of the show (titled – surprise, Garfunkel and Oates) to their YouTube page. Kate Micucci sure is adorable, right?
– This is pretty rad – if you’re a fan of the anime One Piece, you can now board a real-life version of the Thousand Sunny in Times Square in Hong Kong.
– Been wanting to play the latest version of Killer Instinct for the Xbox One, but weren’t too into the whole DLC/download new characters thing? Good news – a retail version (the “Combo Breaker Pack”) will hit shelves on September 23 for $20.
– Is your Funko Pop! collection taking up too much space? Perhaps you just want to take their figures on the go? GOOD NEWS! Funko will start releasing Pocket Pop! Keychains this Fall.
– Current musical fav Lorde will be contributing a song to the soundtrack for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1, as well as curating the film’s official soundtrack. I assume she creepily twisted her fingers into claws when she heard the news.
– Well, that’s clever – to celebrate Discovery Channel’s Shark Week (starting Monday, August 4th), Dunkin Donuts will have a “Shark Bite” donut. Which looks like a lil’ life preserver. Awwww.
That’s it for today! See you Monday. And go see Guardians already!